Saturday, July 2, 2011

Our History/Background

Hey everybody! In honor of the Green Beetle opening it's green doors once again, I thought I'd give our customers some of the history behind it! And trust me- I've got plenty of history for you!

Frank J. Liberto opened the Green Beetle in 1939. It's the oldest tavern in Memphis Tennessee. It was next to Frank's Liquor Store, also run by Frank J. Liberto. Frank ran the Green Beetle for over 3 decades. He met his wife Mary there, and rasied his only child, Linda Ann there as well. Frank's Green Beetle was famous worldwide. Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, And Desi Arnez (before "I Love Lucy") frequented the place. Sam the Sham was rumored to perform there as well.

As far as location goes, The Green Beetle is located on the corner of South Main and Vance, near the Orpheum Memphis. It is now under the management of Josh Huckaby, the grandson of Frank J. Liberto.

So there's your brief history of The Green Beetle. Leave comments or questions if you have them. I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP. Have a wonderful day!

                                                                      Savannah Shelton
                                                                             Great Granddaughter of Frank Liberto

PS: I'll try to make posts about once a week, so check back soon!

3 comments:

  1. Nice, im gonna try to go the 1st day it opens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Should be open in next couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once lived in Frank's house on South Parkway East. It was a very cool house. Big but only 2 bedrooms. 3 bedroom house in backyard. Where a friend rented.
    1975-1978

    ReplyDelete